Posted on 2015-07-21 by Author admin
Garage door maintenance and repair is a technical affair that calls for experts. The technicians with have to deal with detection of the fault, getting the right part for the work, the right tool for fixing the fault. To fix a broken garage door there are a number of activities undertaken which include:
1) Broken spring replacement the spring, usually has a life cycle and its lifespan will depend on the number of times the garage is used on a daily basis. When it reaches the end of its life span the springs breaks releasing all the tension and hence won't be able to lift the door weight. A team of qualified technicians is usually called in to replace the door according to specification. Continuing to operate the door with a broken spring can be a dangerous affair and may lead to damaging of the electric opener system.
2) Cable repair and replacement the cables are usually attached to the door from the top to the bottom and are meant to ensure a smooth operation of the garage door. Most of the weight of the door is handled by these cables and when damaged the garage door won't be able to open. In some cases the experts may decide to them or to replace them all together depending on the degree of damage.
3) Replacement panels the damage to the garage door panel is an indicator of a bigger structural problem. The garage door panels can crack, bend, break or warp, depending on the forces working on it. Failure to fix the problem can lead to the misalignment of the door. The usual remedy is to replace the worn panel with a new one.
4) Door opener repair the most vulnerable part is usually the photo eyes situated less than six inches from the floor. Gears and sprockets may at times be worn out and need replacement. When the photo eye is not functioning well the best option is usually to replace it since it forms the basic functional unit of the door opener.
Garage door repair, garage door parts, repair and garage door parts replacement is usually carried out to fix an already damaged door. However one can come up with maintenance practices which will prolong the functional life of the garage door.
1) Lubrication This is usually done semi-annually by applying oil to the hinges, rollers and tracks.
2) Photo eye test the test should be on a monthly basis and involves the waving of a large object in front of the photo eye such that it breaks the beam. If the photo eye is in good condition the door will reverse.
3) The door balance test this is carried out by closing the door and disconnecting the automatic opener. You will then try to open the door manually and if it rises smoothly and remains open then it is in good shape, but should it move with difficulty or fall back once you withdraw your effort then it needs to be fixed.
4) Inspection you can carry out the inspection of the garage door by locking yourself inside the garage then studying each component one by one.